Save Money. Reduce Waste. Want to rent your dress for the holidays, here are 10 Places to get you started. We all love to dress up for the holidays and that comes with the want (not need) to purchase a new dress every year for that special occasion. One that will cost you money, one that you will probably only wear once, one that will hang in your cupboard long after it’s been worn, or one that will most likely end up in landfills. I don’t mean to sound like a Debbie Downer but admit it, you’ve bought a dress, worn it once and then forgotten about it or trashed it! I know I have.
Canadians send more than 12 million tonnes of clothing and textiles into the waste stream every year!
IS RENTING A DRESS ECO-FRIENDLY?
It’s complicated. Renting a dress is not 100% eco-friendly, there is a lot of dry cleaning and shipping involved but ultimately there are some pretty good benefits:
It Saves Time- you can shop at one or two places to find the right dress. Store owners take pride in their collections and many of them spend time curating dresses so you don’t have to.
Wear Designer brands – you may not be able to afford a Stella McCartney dress, but you could probably afford to rent it.
You are producing Less Waste.
It’s more affordable- If you are budget conscious renting is the right way to go.
My good friend Sarah Peel from Citizenne (a company that inspires and teaches how personal style and a conscious wardrobe go hand-in-hand) says this about renting:
“From a style and novelty perspective, renting clothes (both occasion wear and everyday pieces) is a great way to get a fresh injection into your wardrobe. New clothes act like any drug or thrill, they give you a hit of dopamine, the feel-good hormone! With renting, you can get that hit, often from a designer or more expensive brand than your usual, without destroying your budget or the planet. We only wear about 40% of our closets, and on occasion where rarely get worn more than once. It’s a waste of money resources and space. It just makes so much sense to rent from a company that enables us to support reuse!” I could not agree more.
WHAT SHOULD YOU CONSIDER BEFORE YOU RENT A DRESS?
Before we get to the actual places, I spoke to Trisha Mishich the Founder of Your Favourite Dresses to give us some insight on how to rent a dress. Here is what you need to consider:
With the new fashion revolution opting towards a more sustainable solution, rental clothing companies are becoming more accessible than ever. Curious about how renting works? Here are some tips on how to pick the perfect dress for your next event.
Know your audience – It all comes down to colour, fabric and fit.
Invited to a holiday office party? Choose a dress that hits at the knee or mid-calf, the dress can be form-fitting but not super tight.
RSVP to a wedding? Any colour other than white (obviously..) is acceptable. Depending on the season you can wear anything from bold navy and wine to pastel yellow. Have fun with it, it’s a day of celebration after all!
Just found out you’re a new mama? Renting is the way to go for your growing belly! Choose fabrics with stretch, like jersey or neoprene to give you the best fit.
Renting gives you many options for all occasions while saving you money and the environment. It’s a win-win all around!!
While renting is gaining in popularity, so are the options on ways to rent a dress:
The singular option – Rent a dress and accessories and wear it once. Choosing a rental period from 4 days if your event is local or 8 days if you’re planning to go abroad. It’s a dream service if you attend a lot of weddings or events. Items can be delivered to your home or place of business – just make sure someone can sign for the parcel.
Monthly Subscription – For everyday wear and business attire. Pay a monthly fee and customers select 3 to 4 items on rotation. The Items are delivered to your home and once the month is up, you ship the items back for new selections.
Peer to Peer – Renting online from individuals who list their pre-worn and pre-loved garments and handbags, is another great option to support the sharing economy and keep garments out of landfills. Renting a dress for your next event or any occasion saves you time, money and the environment!
WHERE TO RENT A DRESS:
1. Your Favourite Dresses: offers you a wide selection of the cutest dresses ever. I want to rent them all. You can rent from $69 – $199, including a $100 deposit. Rent for 4 to 8 days. Return the dress in a prepaid envelope and send it back. They do all the cleaning.
2. REHEART (formerly Boro) located in the fashion district of Toronto is a marketplace for women to list, discover, and rent clothing from stylish closets across Canada. They offer a wide selection of dresses and use only 100% certified wet cleaners to professionally clean their garments. That’s better for the environment and also increases the lifespan of the garment. You can rent a dress for 4, 10 or 30-days, perfect if you are travelling. Prices range from $45 – $125. Shipping is available across Canada.
3. Atelier Privé is a high-end lending service in Montreal that specializes in designer dresses. They offer a carefully curated line-up of designer dresses for a fraction of their retail price. Their collection ranges from a classic black dress to a statement gown. They carry sought after brands that are often not sold in Montreal. You can rent a dress for three days, prices range for a cocktail dress you’ll pay between $80 and $100 and for a full-length gown, from $100 – $200. They also include the fee for dry cleaning. Shipping is extra.
4. The Fitzroy, based in Toronto carries designers dresses from the UK, LA, Australia and is adding a range of Canadian designers too. They have been part of the #rentalrevolution for 7 years now and their shop is so unbelievably pretty. You will want to stay! For a while! Prices range from $70 – $110 for four days. If you need to extend that, they do offer an 8-day option. Shipping is available across Canada, prices vary.
5. Beyond The Runway You can rent designer’s dresses and luxury purses from us at a very affordable price. Monthly subscription fee at $99.00/month and $149.00/month. Choose from one of our monthly subscription packages. Free shipping and return across Canada. Rent top designer brands suited for all occasions: cocktail party, wedding, prom, reception, galas, birthday, dinners business and even for work.
6. Joyce’s Closet in Calgary is a consignment and rental shop. They have an inventory of dresses in different styles and price points. You can rent a dress for four days or eight days for an additional $60. Prices vary, contact them directly.
7. Station Service is located in Montreal’s Plateau neighbourhood, if you have never been to this part of Canada, put it on your bucket list. Station Service provides a unique clothing rental program. Not only can you rent beautiful dresses they also offer a range of timeless basics from some of Canada’s top designers including Eve Gravel, Eliza Faulkner, and Arti Gogna. It will cost you about $70 to rent a dress for a week, or you can sign up for their annual membership for $75.
8. Sprout Collection began as a maternity wardrobe rental service and have since branched out to both everyday essentials and party dress. They offer three types of membership and it’s very simple to pick what you want. Chose from their rental packages that suit your needs best. One box/month, Unlimited boxes/month, One-off rentals. You choose. You’re in total control every time. Choose from workwear and casual to show-stopping occasion wear. Wear your items for the month, return them with our pre-paid shipping label, pick out your next collection. Love something? Keep it for up to 50% off retail. Monthly packages range from $119 to $199 a month, and one-time, five-day rentals cost $79 for up to two pieces.
9. Dresst offers higher-end looks that are simply stunning. Choose any 3 pieces of clothing from your favourite brands and wear them as your own for the month. Enjoy your items all month. Send your box back after 30 days. Free shipping both ways. They have over 250 styles from designers like Free People, Club Monaco, Vince, Ted Baker, Gal Meets Glam and more! Rent one item a month for $49, or three items a month for $99. I’m obsessed with their collection!
10. FlauntBox is a Vancouver-based dress rental startup offering the modern woman access to her endless dream closet. Create a style profile. Explore our collection of top brands then add them to your online closet. Get the latest styles delivered to your door and wear them as many times as you like. Send back your items in the prepaid envelope. No need to wash; professional cleaning is on us. When we receive your items back, you get to pick new ones. Dress rentals range from about $70 to $150 for a four-day rental. They also offer a monthly subscription membership for $99 a month.
Have I forgotten anyone? Please share any brands you love in the comments below. xo